View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 09:31 PM
DIY or Die

Looks great. I was hoping for a small drop on the monster-truck-like suspension of the 280, but what I don't want to do is compromise ride quality.

I actually have cut springs from a 500e on my w201, and it's uncomfortably rigid for street driving.

I'm going to try to pull a set of springs from a jy 114 and see how they do with a coil cut. I'm really looking to keep the existing look and feel of the car, just not ride *quite* so high.

Tom - the process is relatively simple - just use some cutting implement to cut a little at a time from the bottom of the spring (i.e. not the flat side). I use an angle grinder with a beeswax-slathered cutoff wheel, a little at a time so as not to heat the spring excessively - but I'm sure you could also use a sawzall. The key is not to generate too much heat.

Of course, any time this question comes up, experts come crawling out of the woodwork to tell you why not to cut suspension springs. Also keep in mind that in some areas of the world, modifying your suspension components is illegal...
1985 190e 2.3 - Heavily Modified