View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 08:55 AM

There are two fuse boxes - one is up front under the hood by the hood hinge on the driver's side. It's a flat-topped box about 6" square with a horizontal lid - sits right next to the brake master cylinder. Just lift up on the big latch and open the lid. The second is on the passenger side of the car, in the trunk above the battery - you should see a small "trap door" on the trunk lining.

My car is a '92 300SE, so I'll be the fuse locations for the "in common" features are the same. Check fuse #16 in the under-hood box. It's 10A and it also controls the glove box illumination - I'm pretty sure this circuit is only live with the key on, but I could be wrong.

As for your window problem - the condition you're seeing is that the "load" sensor on the window motor thinks it sees too much effort required to raise the window - like if it came into contact with someone's arm. The sensor causes the motor to stop and reverse slightly. The window will close when you use the convenience feature (via locking) as the load sensors are "off line" during that method of closing.

I had the same problem and the solution was a new (remanufactured) window motor. They're super easy to change - I just got one from Auto-Zone for about $80 - they had to special order it. The hardest part about changing the motor is getting the door panel off. The motor is held in with 3 screws - I think the heads are torx shaped - you can R&R the motor in less than 30 minutes with the right tools.

To get the window to close without using the convenience feature override, don't press the button all the way down - just to the point where the glass starts to move. That method also avoids the load sensor.

Hope this helps.