View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 07:31 PM

this summer I replaced a front steering knuckle on my C-class, previously I had only done pads and rotors and shocks on my C-class (only car I had ever done this kind of work on).
I used this forum and google searches to get as much information as possible for the steering knuckle and bearing. I purchased a dial gauge, and as an experiment I tried to get the bearing to the correct tightness without the dial gauge, but it was only with the dial gauge that enabled me to get the correct tighness. I had no idea what it should feel like before attempting the job and the dial gauge was priceless for me.
I also ordered a bearing packer and brass punch and hammer plus a set of donuts to bang in bearing races.
The one mistake I made was stupidly installing the grease seal before installing the inner bearing/race. As a tip it is worth purchasing a spare grease seal or any item that is cheap.

I ordered a dial gauge from ENCO, I need to go into my paperwork to get the model. I'll probably never will use my dial gauge again, If you lived near me in baltimore I would let you borrow it.