View Single Post
Old 12-23-2006, 09:01 PM

That's what I thought - so I checked it 4 times and the readings were the same - with all of the plugs pulled. (BTW, plugs 3-6 are black and carbon fouled, #2 was a little brown and #1 was wet, dirty and oily looking). I have determined that the intake manifold is leaking right here - by the number 1 and 2 cylinders. I guess I could have fuel in the chamber???

I really don't know what is going on now.

I did a leakdown test and all cylinders showed a 30% - 60% leakage, except for cylinder 4 which was even higher at 70%. All of these numbers were in the yellow, moderate range on my leakdown tester. Using a hose to isolate leaks, all leaked at the dipstick tube - which is expected, but I also picked up on leakage between cylinders, especially when pressurizing cylinder 5 I could hear what sounded like the ocean in cylinder 4!

No leakage noted through the carbs, exhaust pipe, and no bubbles in the coolant.

I should note that I did this test with the engine COLD - I should have done it at operating temperature, so I'm not sure what difference that makes.

I have no idea about what kind of results I should expect here - the engine is 35 years old, but I have not noticed any problems with power. It still runs well at highway speeds, or at least it did prior to this excessive smoking problem.

Ryan

1984 300D
1972 250
1986 560SL
1991 300CE