View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us441south View Post

I have just bought a 1982 240D with the 4 speed manual transmission. Its service is unknown & it has 290,000 miles on the clock. It seems the more throttle I give the engine the slower it goes & the less power it has. Back off the throttle a bit and it gains a bit but not very much. Trying to pull a long hill will almost stall the engine completely. The guy I bought it from says it actually did stop on him a few times. It idles fine and a compression check shows good across the board. I’ve changed the fuel filters & carefully adjusted the valves & neither helped a bit. I replaced the fuel injectors & this didn’t help. I suspected an obstruction from the fuel tank to the engine & put a small one gallon tank under the hood & still had no improvement. It is a U.S. model with the EGR valve but the tube between the exhaust manifold has been plugged and most of the EGR vacuum lines are loose. Any ideas? Thanks for any/all replies in advance.
You might check and make sure your throttle linkage is opening the rack all the way, which you proly already did. The other thing that comes to mind is timing, oh and did you check the chain stretch when you adjusted the valves?
What were the compression numbers, above 300?

1985 Euro 240D 5 spd 140K
1979 240D 5 spd, 40K on engine rebuild
1994 Dodge/Cummins, 5 spd, 121K
1964 Allice Chalmers D15 tractor
2014 Kubota L3800 tractor
1964 VW bug

"Lifes too short to drive a boring car"