View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Man of the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermang View Post
Mustang Man, If you are having problems which you attribute to lack of glow plug help in starting the engine..but find no obvious faults... consider using the glow plug hole reamer... carbon slowly builds up around them and insulates their effect ...so you get the symptom without them being bad in any other way... I think they may have one in the rental program...check the sticky's at top of page...
The FSM says to apply heavy grease to the threads when you do that.. to capture chunks .... and then to use compressed air to blow out the rest...
Don't use the engine turning over as that may suck it into the bore depending on the start position of the piston ....
Actually, the starting up has never been an issue yet, just the light blinking while driving, which I have finally attributed to just being a bad sensing circuit in the module, I pulled the plugs yesterday and they tested great (just to make sure they were actually working and not having a mid-cycle loss with a thermal related failure). While they were out I took a mechanics mirror and small mag light, and looked around up into the glow holes, I could see the bottom of the prechamber diffusers in place, & clean looking inside the prechambers, I did blow evereything out with air before reinstalling just to remove any loosened deposits, and wire wheeled the glows (tip & threads) for easier installing (also used never seize on threads). It was interesting, they are Bosch plugs, but look different than my spares (which came from my old 616) and have a different part number yet both are supposedly the same plug from Bosch? I disassembled the relay this morning and inspected everything, looks good, I cleaned the relay contacts with an ignition file as they had some crud on them. I have the 3 bolt style module with the 5 reed switches. I have already tested everything else in-car to make sure voltages are there and such, everything is perfect, except the light blinks going down the road.

I know I need a cam however as I have visually seen (not just felt) a ridge in one of the lobes along an edge where the lobe does not rub on the rocker, and it has a bad miss when cold, subsides when warmed but still can be noticed @ certain RPM's. The miss is getting worse and my mileage is dropping now so I think its getting worse, I don't want to fiddle with the valves until I have a good cam to set them by. Once the cam is done and valves set, if the miss continues I will look into getting an adapter for compression checking, and pending those results will move into having injectors/pump tested, I want to pull the injectors anyway for inspection as I have no knowledge of past maintenance/history on them. Engine supposedly has around 130K on it now. I have already verified the chain timing and IP timing to not be a problem.
82 240D -for sale