View Single Post
Old 01-15-2007, 08:20 PM
I pity the fool...

Possible overcooling and unreliable heat

Here is the problem that I seem to have. First off my temperature gauge only reads about 60C. I believe it is related to another problem which I have been having. Sometimes when I start my car from a cold start, I have to drive it for 10-15 minutes until it gets up to operating temp. and then turn the car off, and restart it before the heat will kick in. Otherwise the heat is just moderate.
I had just done some maintenance on my car over the break, so I decided to give it an italian tune-up on the way back. At this point the temp. gauge was still reading at about 60C, and the heat was on full blast. After I got the car to about 3700 RPM, the heat cut off and cool air began to blow from the vents. So I stopped the car, turned it back on, and the heat was fine again. This happened one more time later in my trip, when I got the car up to about 85 MPH.
From what I read, this is most likely a fualty T-stat. What else might be causing this?

Logan

1983 300D Turbodiesel
1976 300D Rustdiesel