View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 01:12 PM

Daydreaming about my '75 junker ... Qs

This is another one of my vague queries about something I'd like to do in the future, but am not ready to do yet. I know I've asked bits and pieces about it before, but would like to collect more knowledge.

I have a 1975 240D that, in all honesty, is a complete hunk-o-junk. However, for someone who desperately wants to get some hands-on engine work experience, I think it might be a good "cadaver" to play with. The car started and ran perfectly when it was parked 20 years ago. Believe it or not, my dad actually just left a perfectly running car to rot into oblivion (I'm not mad at him though, because he DID save my Bodhi even when everyone told him not to bother ). What happens to an engine when it sits for 20 years? Is it believable that this car could be started without much ado? Let's just say you walked up to this project and wanted to get it running ... A) What problems would you look for? and B) What things MUST you do before even trying to start it?

I'm not necessarily interested in restoring this car. The rust is horrific and water has been leaking into the dilapidated weather stripping for years (surprisingly, the interior is quite nice, though). My motive is to LEARN about the engine and get a little "real life" experience. I've been reading my diesel maintenence and repair guide for 2 years over and over, so I kind of understand the anatomy, but I just crave a chance to actually get my hands on these parts, and see how they connect, move, function, etc.
Is it reasonable to think I could learn something by playing around under the hood of this old -- and once very functional -- car?

One thing I know is a problem: the muffler is lying on the ground under the car, so at least some of the exhaust system needs, uh, a little work. What other parts will have "expired" in the time the car has been sitting? Again, they all worked when it was parked 20 years ago.
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)