View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Mercedes Diesels Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdisav View Post
I have just picked up an 84 300D with only 100K. It is georgeous but it does not start in this sub 30F weather.

All glow plugs are new and check out properly with the ohm meter. Holes are reamed out with the proper reamer. Glow plug relay is new and has power to all plugs. Battery is fine and gives a good crank.

I have had to change the filter out 3 times in the last 300 miles because what looks like rust is evident in the inline filter with only 10 miles of hard driving. The car has excellent power and will pull 80mph up a fairly steep hill. It does idle with a bit of a shake.

Could the tank screen be that clogged that it will not start when cold but still pull 80mph on the hills?

There is barely a bubble in the prefilter even after sitting on an incline overnight. So the fuel is not going back to the tank. I also primed it well and heard the injection pump hiss immediately but still no start.

Also all valves have been adjusted 3 times.
clean out the tank....sounds like a lot of crap is in the fuel which will prevent starting and you said rust which indicated water and O2 are working... my best guess is not enought diesel fuel to start... too much water and rust material in the fuel .... the car might have been sitting for a long time and diesel fuel will grow bacteria causing the starting issue

bill