View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 12:33 AM
Incompetent Loser

1981 300TD Wagon Rear Shocks

Basically it boils down to this: Benzy is real bouncy.

I have a 1981 300TD wagon. I would like to replace the shocks in back, but I don't know how difficult it is or really how to do it at all. I have never replaced shocks in any car before. However, I did work with my dad to replace the noisy clickety-clunking rear driverside half shaft (and the other one while we were at it), so I am familiar with what is "back there," how to get at the top of the shocks, etc.

I have heard of difficulties with hydrolic "self leveling" rear suspensions on some model, but I don't know if my car has that type of suspension.

Any tips or suggestions would be helpful.

I appologize in advance if this has been covered somewhere. I have searched through the forums and diy articles to find the specific answer to my question, but I don't know enough about the different models of MBs to know for sure if the repairs on other models/years apply to mine, and I couldn't find one that covered this exactly. I am sorry if I have overlooked something, and I would be glad to be directed to where this has been explained already.

By the way, hi. I am new to this forum, and relatively new to car repair and mercedes diesels as well... however, as with everything, I prefer to do it myself if possible, as I am always up for new things and don't have the cash to throw around to have someone else do it for me. Also, I have a dad who seems to be up for most car repairs as long as it doesn't require a lift.

Thanks,
Chet Wesley