View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 12:05 AM
gimme a low-tech 240D

Or hopefully nothin immediately fatal if its still generally operative. Wintertime electric symptoms are always worst than in warm weather. Meanwhile starter replacement on the 114 aint easy, my opinion: DIY degree of difficulty at 7+ .I wrastled with one on my 280/8 nearly all day long. There's one bell housing bolt thats near impossible, needs creative use of 10mm allen socket and vise grips reachin with fingertips having zero room in the tranny tunnel. Some people suggest cutting a hole in the tunnel from inside the car.

Meanwhile consider an upgrade to ballsier starter motor for lightning fast starts, see if a new starter for 1975 115/300D is rated more powerful. I'll betcha it is. Lesser known fact: Bosch built starters at different power ratings, same as bosch alterntors amp output varies. And knowing MB, it's a cinch the 1975/76 w115 m617 diesel starter will bolt right in. With your 280Coupe bein a '72 then shoot the moon and soup it up with the most ass-kicking starter available, says me, and you will never regret it.