Thread: Top Gear
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 12:41 PM
gimme a low-tech 240D

Quote:
Originally Posted by diametricalbenz View Post
Even then, shouldn't they have simply been reported to the police rather than having the mob stone them and the camera crew who had Uhaul marked vans?
DB, when the old gal called the bluff of these ass'ho Brits thats exactly what she did!! Betcha the "mob" of 5 locals in pick-up truck included at least one part-time Sherrif's deputy and couple of volunteer firefighters to boot. Gotta consider that the land of the old woman's gas station has probly been in her family for generations. And she's no doubt a respected member of the community whose opinion constitutes "the law" at local levels. So when she calls the boys on the phone and tells em that trouble makers, an insult to an otherwise peaceful neighborhood, are in the gas station then she gets quick response. And you're darned tootin the old broad would defend her turf with equal success if, say it had been a gang of Hell's Angels motorcyclists acting rude and insulting everybody as these moron Brits did.

Meanwhile dunno where you got the "stoning" from. But heck, if somebody jams a camera in my face then I'd consider it an agressive act on their part and feel entirely justified in knocking it out of the way.

Quote:
Jethro. Damn redneck filth,,, I guess the right to 'free speech' stops anywhere south of Frankfort,, right?
Shucks Juck, if that's your attitude then you better never ever leave your home. Forget about visiting any out of the way locations, never stop to watch NCAA basketball at any roadside saloon while visiting foreign neighborhoods. LOL, am reminded of tournament semi-finals back in 2005.... There was me, cheering my ass off for Louisville Cards as first time visitor in UK Wildcat saloon more than 50 miles from my home. Could have been scarey if all of us didnt have love for basketball in common.

Y'all can whine and whimper about "free speech" all you want - but i godamned guarantee it dont take any talent to pick a fight. And that's exactly what Brit tourists acting like morons accomplished. Kudos to the old lady! She won the match fair and square, calling their bluff and sent em packing.

Yet what I'm really wondering about is the motives behind "Top Gear". This scenario played by BBC seems intended to instruct roadtrip travelers to be fearful scared and hateful of "damned redneck filth" like you are, Juck. Now that kinda sucks for a television show (dedicated to automobiles) to breed fear and loathing encouraging hatred, doncha think?

Ooooh - aaah, nobody ever oughta get off the interstate...... SCAREY STUFF OUT THERE!! I hate this filmclip for encouraging this crybaby motiffe.