View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 01:33 PM

Talking Suspension Adjustments

I looked in my FSM last night and found reference to chapter 40-320 for front end alignment and 40-330 for rear end alignment. Those are nowhere to be found on the 123 manual, but I did find them on the 126 manual The suspensions between these two chassis are very similar, if not identical for the early model 126s. What I did find though, is camber, caster, and toe is adjustable for the front. The rear only mentioned procedures for toe, but it reads that camber is also affected by toe adjustments.

Toe and caster up front are adjusted by changing tie rod and guide rod lengths (threaded ends). Camber up front is adjusted by changing the position of the eccentric bolt at the lower-inner control arm bushing (it is standard equipment) - doesn't sound too hard. Toe (& camber) in rear is adjusted "after a wreck" by replacing standard trailing arm bushings with eccentric ones and lining them up correctly - hmmm, I wonder what the alignment shop would tell me if I asked them to adjust my rear suspension

2002 Audi S6 Avant
1983 300D
1984 300D (sold)
1990 560SEL (sold)