View Single Post
Old 12-01-2001, 02:04 AM

What a different Ride

Greetings All,

Yes, I took the golden Benz to work today. It gave me time to acquaint myself with it during my 40 mile commute. What a difference from a 123 model as well as a non-turbo diesel. I can't get over the difference in power, acceleration and driving experience. This beauty just begged to be driven with quick response on the pedal even at 65mph + Glad it still has that diesel sound at idle, otherwise the wife would want it in exchange for her 300E. I do have a question about one thing, seeing as this is the first turbo I've owned. I hear this hollow humming sound that starts around 45mph and is sometimes present beyond that speed. To me it sounds like either the turbo working or a air leak into the filter housing from a leaking or non-existent filter housing to manifold gasket. The sound isn't a squeal but a dominant droning hum from the engine compartment. The pitch doesn't seem to change with acceleration or deceleration but steady. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I hope to tear into the air cleaner assembly this Sunday if the weather holds out and see if there is something that is missing like a gasket. Other than what I've just mentioned, the passenger window and drivers rear window don't seem to operate using either the console or door switch. Any ideas on that one would also be greatly appreciated. I do have to say that the PO did review these conditions before viewing this car, and was totally on the up and up as far as what he knew did or didn't work. So far it's been a great car to drive and would definitely be a welcome member to my Benz family. I just need to familiarize myself with turbo engines and this chassis designed car.

Charles