View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 09:59 PM

That turbo sucks up all sorts of stuff, I pour sand out of mine every filter change. Not a huge amount, but it collects.

I always change the filter on a hot engine and fill the new on with injector cleaner or clean diesel fuel. There is no hand pump, you will have to crank it in 30 sec or less runs, waiting a minute or more between, until it starts. Best to open the top nut on the injector lines a bit until the air blows out, then tighten them back.

What color was the smoke? Black? Blue? White?

Huge clouds of inky black smoke and a funny rattle from the engine until the turbo finally winds up is an EGR valve sticking open. You would notice -- the car behind will vanish in the cloud.

Tons of smuck in the intake pipe is likely water sludge -- for some reason, this engine blows it out into the intake from the vapor separator in the head. Lots of short distance driving, or a cracked head, will make it much worse.

The car should be a road rocket -- check to make sure the boost signal line from the middle of the intake manifold is intact and holds pressure (take it off and blow into it) -- quite often the switchover valve on the firewall is bad and vents off the pressure, so you don't get fuel enrichment.

Check for cold pressure in the cooling system -- if the radiator hose is hard with the engine cold, likely you have a cracked head -- might be lucky and only have a bad head gasket.

Peter
1985 Volvo 740 GLE Turobodiesel 218,000
1972 280 SE 4.5 165, 000 - It runs!