View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 08:16 PM
88Black560SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypso View Post
Hello,

I am new to SL ownership. I am very pleased with my purchase an American spec SL380 but I have a couple of problems to sort out.

First the gearbox does not shift as it should. Sometimes it starts in third or fourth (I know they start in second normally), othertimes it just does not kick down when it should, or it takes ages to kick down. It does however change down if I move the lever back to S or if I press the pedal enough to engage the kickdown switch. It will also do quite rough changes if accelerating, changing with a jolt. All this happens sometimes but other times it works just fine.

The second problem is with the ventilation system. In any position (including A/C on) it pours hot air out of the vents.

The last thing is an oil leak from underneath, any common places to start looking?

Any ideas guys?
I cant help you with the gearbox starting in 3rd or 4th. As far as kickdown is concerned they always seem to take forever for it to occur. It cant hurt to change fuid an filter, but not a likely cure.

AC check monovalve. There is an overhaul kit available for these for about $30.

Oil leak from underneath. Most likely stearing box. Second most likely is the transmission front seal. Unfortunatly the third most likely is the head gasket, which may look like a rear main seal leak form underneath.

John Roncallo