View Single Post
Old 12-05-2001, 08:32 PM
fryerpowered

well

The thought has crossed my mind, but the biodiesel makes for NO-SMOKE and if I put the used oil in I know it would leave a trail. We used to put used oil in the big trucks when we changed fluids. Five gallons of used oil into 150 gallons of fuel. The next day we would dump in the other 5 gallons into another 150 gallon tank of fuel. The trucks really made smoke on those days! They were bad enough seeings how we had them turned up as far as we could go. You know that little screw on the I/P that you "back out" on a 1406 Cat. to get more fuel? ( mechanical 425hp, not the stinking electronic newfangled POS) Well, we just took that little screw right on out and put in a "plug" to seal the hole.

Even though I dearly love the 425 Cat. It won't run with the big dogs that are out there today. The only place I had any advantage was "in-town" type of driving. When I was working in Grand Rapids there wasn't another truck on the crew that could keep up with the old Peterbuilt I was driving, it would only run about 90mph. flat out, but didn't need a lot of road to do it. It was a good "short haul" rig. I really liked the 60 Series Detroit for over the road...I hauled milk from Mi. to Ashville, N.C. for the last summer olympics when they were in GA. Nothin' like 470hp to pull grades , cruise control, climate control, good stereo, air ride and a double bunk! I tried to get one with a 13speed tranny , but they said it cost too much and it was too heavy. ( good grief it was only 190lbs heavier than the 10speed. Glad I didn't push for the 18!

There was some old drunk telling lies downtown one night about using rolls of toilet paper and "stages " of funnels to filter used oil. He tried telling me that when it came out the last time through it looked like brand new oil....hey , it was his story!:p