View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 08:36 AM

Rhino, the drip method is basically a universal fairly easy method to put the engine and pump into time. Nowhere is it indicated that it is the best timing for any given engine at this time.
It just is not a dynamic means so does not reflect the actuality of conditions in the cylinders while running. All the factory recommended drip measures are for is to get the engine and pump start of delivery as close to the 24 degrees refference mark as possible.
That is why the dynamic milli volt method was looked at as it does accuratly reflect the hotter burn threshhold so you have a little more efficiency and a little more power to boot. Alas the stiffness of the injector tubes made this approach just about impossible. .
Yet I personally still feel it had the best accuracy to come along the pike. This is confirmed over and over again with posters stating their engines seem to like 26 degrees indicted better.
Another conformation is the milli volt method always seemed to land up at about 26 degees as well. It does reflect a slightly hotter or more efficient burn cycle than 24 degrees.
To put this in further context it all started when It was felt the milage and power of these engines was posssibly increasable to some extent. There was just too much varience between different examples of 123s milage and performance for it just to be driving habits in my opinion. Whatever drip count method is utilized by you the intent of the manufaturer is to end up at 24 degrees indicated. I would go the lesser drip rate to favour the slight advance inherent in it over the more drips per unit of time. Just better than the retardation of timing by more drips in my opinion.
Do not forget either that 24 degrees was for fuel of the cars design era. The fuels celane number and burn charactaristics have changed with time. I think as well with all the present evidence 26 degrees by drip test is well worth trying. There is a noticable difference between 24 and 26 degrees indicated.. If nothing else the milli volt method proved that.
Sam Ross and Yellit deserve a lot of credit for their combined efforts in this area to move existing knowledge forward. They did do it in my opinion.

Last edited by barry123400; 03-30-2007 at 08:52 AM.