View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Who's flying this thing ?

Speaking as the past owner of a Volvo 740 concurrently with a Mercedes, in a way the comparison is like chalk and cheese.

Each has quirks, and each has huge virtues. (I'm assuming you are thinking about the W123 Mercedes diesels)

The Volvo 240 sedans were pretty expensive when new, your mother probably paid well over $17,000 when new, and the first models came out in the guise of the 1968 140 series, so they were well sorted by 1988, and with the proven B230F engine, star trek mileage was easily and frequently and unremarkably obtained on them. Like Mercedes, they too have high mileage badges, given if I recall at 100,000, 300,000 and 500,000 miles. You have probably heard of Irv Gordon, the original owner of a 1966 red P1800 car with about 3,000,000 miles on it, the highest mileage car in the world, in the Guiness book of world records.

They have a tight turning radius, sip regular gas, are comfortable, have excellent visibility, are ultra safe, very well built and ultra long lasting.
The fact that in spite of all this, the used car market does not recognize their essential goodness and worth should be of no concern to you.
You have the additional plus of a known history from new on the car, and the possible sentimental value attached to it as a family owned car.

The W123 series Mercedes Diesel is a wonderful car, good looking, comfortable, safe, economical, easy to repair, durable, well built, long lasting, and with an enthusiast following, so normally, I'd recommend them without hesitation to anyone.

But in your set of circumstances, you have the ONE car out there that would be worth keeping for its own merits, doing so secure in the knowledge you know exactly what the car you have has behind it from mile zero.

If you have your heart set on a Benz diesel, then definately seek out and buy one in excellent condition.

If not, then recognize what you have and hang on to it for as long as you can.

PS: In case you
missed it, there is a good Volvo v Honda thread going on below in the OD section, below, with comments galore about the 240 and 740 Volvo that might give you a bit more perspective on the big Volvo.

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)