View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 11:48 AM

Most "locals" feel relieved that justice has finally been served and that doesn't matter what race you are. Durham is one of the most diverse cities in the Research Triangle area of North Carolina consisiting of Raleigh, Durham, Cary and Chapel Hill and is very resilient. It is not like what many of the national networks portrayed during the last year. It is felt that Nifong's actions severely harmed the reputation of Durham, NC. It was very unfortunate that Nifong as a prosecutor, specultatively, propelled by political ambitions and visions of grandeur prosecuted these students even when there was no legitamate evidence against them. Tell me, how can a prosecuting District Attorney go on national TV and make comments about how these student were "guilty" even before a grand jury indicted them. The state Attorney General used the term "rogue" which is a strong term but, in the case of Nifong, probably not strong enough. Nifong has lost his credibility as the Durham district attorney and probably will be forced to resign. He will most likely be disbarred by the State of North Carolina and it will be interesting to see if they prosecute him further.

In the future I believe there will be several Civil cases entered against Nifong and Durham county. Where do these students go to get their reputation back? Some say they spent over $5 million defending this case. If it were not for the resources these students parents had, they could have ended up in jail for 30 years. What should the court system do to protect every citizen from wrongful "rogue" prosecutors like Nifong. It is unfortunate to say, but there is more like him out there. Nifong will probably be prosecuted to the fullest extent possible to set him as an example to other "rogue" prosecutors. The story is not over yet and it will be interesting to watch.

How about the LaCrosse coach who was forced by Duke University to resign his position before they were judged by a court of law to be guilty? I think if were that man I would want some retribution. Even Duke University did not support these students and take the position of innocent until proven guilty.

How about the Duke LaCrosse team who was forced by the Duke President to end their season early? They would have had a good chance at the national title. This season they are ranked No. 1.