View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Loose Cannon - No Balls

K&N filters. The additional airflow that you try to get, while passing more dirt, is a step closer to no filter at all, which does improve performance even more. Race engines often have K&N style, and many also run without air filters. Performance is more important than longevity here. I'll stick with a good paper filter that will keep the air clean. It is likely that the cone filter will improve airflow, and might even have some power increase. More airflow without more fuel will also reduce EGT.

As far as a cold-air intake, behind the radiator is not a cold-air location. It is also not high-pressure, the radiator blocks much of the airflow. I do love my vented fender intake, ... one of the coolest things M-B ever put on the 201 and 124 2.5L cars.

The finns use a cone filter because they're looking for airflow, not long-life. They use a simple cone filter and pipe because they have modified the engine to the point where the stock system doesn't have the CFM/capacity for the engines, plus the different turbo intake locations, impossible to use stock.

I do like the tornado reference.

Gone to the dark side

- Jeff