View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 11:23 PM

The stock intake setup sucks. Replaced the rack damper bolt, engine mounts and shocks. Engine idles smooth for a diesel. Still was going through a set of rubber air filter mounts seemed like every oil change and one broken metal air cleaner mount. Crappy design. Did my own intake pipe with a very large K&N and a custom oil separator from a Moroso catch can. More power? Can't comment, I don't think seat of the pants is a good way to compare performance. Definitely hear the turbo all the time. Just not having to deal with the large rattling hunk of crap makes the K&N worthwhile.

Regarding the K&N and the lack of filtering. I have oil analysis records for both the work truck and the MB, 3 tests before and 3 after installation. No increase in silica or wear particles in the oil. Oil within normal parameters. No grit that I can find/feel inside the intakes either. Maybe I just drive in less dusty areas. I also oil the bejeezus out of the filters. So much that they drip. As long as the oil analysis keeps coming back clean I'll keep using them. Everybody has an opinion, and you know what they say.... RT
93' Chevrolet C2500HD ExCab 6.5TD, Two-tone blue, 252K