View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 12:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Since Linking 87 and KL sends the PBU compressor signal to the compressor bypassing all Klima interrupts, and since apparently the refrigerant low pressure switch in an 85 is between the Klima and the compressor, it seems that if I jumper over the klima by sticking a fused wires between the right holes, then all should be well. Right?

I am worried that if I jumper the Klima, that the AC will not cycle correctly. Is this a real fear, or should the "logic" that determines the cycling of the compressor be based on some other set of switches that is irrelevant to the Klima? Does anyone know if the 85 cars used a different ac compressor from earlier cars? Depending upon the connectivity via the Klima relay, it may not matter anyway. It seems that all 300D card used an R-4 compressor and that there is no real difference.
You have correctly identified the function of the Klima on the '85. All will be well if you bypass the Klima with jumpers and the cycling of the compressor will be unaffected. As you mentioned, you lose protection from overtemp and you lose the capability to dump the compressor when the kickdown switch closes.

Quote:
So, options... Of course my first option is to jumper past the Klima relay and hope for the best...
Now, if I just jumper it over, per my research, the only things that Ill loose are as follows: the capability of more power when the kickdown switch closes (pedal on the floor); the capability of the relay to shut the a/c compressor down if the engine gets too hot.

Neither of these are earth shattering... but of course this means that jumpering the Kima relay must work to make the AC system operate as it did in 84 and earlier cars. Is this a safe bet?
It's a guaranteed bet. Jumpering the Klima to remove it on the '85 won't affect the operation of the a/c.

Quote:

Now, option #2. Say I obtained a new or good used Klima relay. Could I modify it such that of the three functions it protects for, i.e. 1) Signal from the CCU going through the Evap. temp switch and the low pressure cutout switch. This signal tells the Klima to close. 2) Signal from the kickdown switch. This signal tells the Klima to open. 3) Signal from a temperature switch. This signal tells the Klima to open if the temperature it above the setpoint. 4) Signal from the tach.

Could I somehow modify the klima such that the tach signal (not present) is always set in the relay to be correct and so the AC can operate? This way, assuming that all the rest of the wring is intact, I still get the low pressure protection and the kickdown shutoff conveneince.

Is this possible?
I don't understand what you want to modify on a perfectly good Klima? If the Klima works properly, you get the protection you seek and the dropping of the compressor during kickdown.

Quote:

Finally, option #3: assume that all the connectivity to the Klima other than the tach signal is still in tact. Also assume that it is not smart/possible to modify a working klima to operate the rest of its logic without the tach signal. Could I then buy a different relay, use the pins from the klima setup, and have the relay operate such that if the CCU calls for cold air, it closes unless only two options, kickdown switch or temperature signal? That is, use a relay with one less option to cause it to open. I assume that with a single different relay (not necessarily drop into the existing holes) or a set of simpler relays wired up some way, I could gain this functionality.
Again, I fail to see the need to reinvent the wheel.