View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 01:26 PM

Exclamation Help! Very weird problem.

I've got a weird problem that my indie has not been able to figure out, hopefully someone can give me some direction.

My remote locking system stopped working some time ago. I press the remote and I can see the red/green alarm lights go on, but the doors will not lock/unlock. I have tried to resync the key but it makes no difference. Batteries are new.

The drivers side door, when using the key will unlock the car, but will not lock it. The lock button on the dash console will unlock and lock the doors. The trunk lock will not lock/unlock the car.

So my indie at first thought it was the drivers side door latch, but more recently he thinks it may be the lock control module in the trunk. He is hesitant to change it because he thinks he might need some kind of reprogramming for the key that only the dealer can do.

Anyone have any idea if it might be indeed the door latch, or the control module where I should start to look?

The control module is fairly inexpensive and I am tempted to just get it and see if it works, does anyone know if I can just replace it, or does it need to be programmed to match my key? And if so does the dealer only do this, or can my indie do it?

Unfortunately I am stuck with a dealer in my area that loves to run up the bill with diagnostic labor, I've had jobs performed by my indie for 25% or less than the quoted price of the dealer. If I have to I will take it to the dealer, but would rather avoid it.

It's a 96 SL500

Last edited by spinedoc; 04-19-2007 at 04:24 PM.