View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 12:29 PM
1990 300e 3L

Wtb..

thanks guys.. coming from someone who's not only frequently taken as coming across as a smart ass, but just looking like one, no offense taken..

maybe my Saab has spoiled me.. I have the 100-150K expectation with an American car, but not most Euro's. Knock on wood, my 96 900s gets 32 MPG and a nice power band with 196K, and that's with nothing changed but plugs and oil (frequently). Same experience with a Nissan (225K and going). I'm thinking 100K-150K should equate to about mid to late 40s in human years

now, as you creep up above the 165K mark, my feelings change a little. But it seems a well-engineered straight should be good for at least 175K with frequent oil changes and no extravagant abuse. For me, that extra 30K gets me three more years. Driving a 1990, the rest of the car will hit the point of no return by that time. I'm in upstate NY, serious rust belt. I can spend a few extra thousand on the motor, but the car'll never last that liong. Besides, give me a good reason to pick the next model to fall in love with..

I'll have to admit, my love of euros comes from their being engineered with an appreciation of the driving experience, and the fact that they're a great value when middle-aged (could never afford new).

but who knows, this may be lesson learned number two.. or I just might stick with Saabs..

Nonetheless, appreciate the input, and I'll keep it in mind.. it's given me some cause for consideration..