View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith02 View Post
These so called self proclaimed accountants I think are good for nothing and they are often responsible for leading employers like us into trouble for the lack of their knowledge. To me the best option is to assign the job on reliable consultancies who can efficiently manage these with minimum headaches for us.
I hope you aren't painting all accountants with the same brush? Or are you?

Who are these "so called" "self proclaimed" accountants you speak of?
Licensed CPA's? Not exactly what I would consider self-proclaimed.
In my state (NJ), every person holding himself out as a public accountant, whether as a Public Accountant (licenses no longer issued), Certified Public Accountant, Registered Municipal Accountant or Public School Accountant must pass the uniform national CPA exam, be licensed by the State, complete 120 hours of continuing education every three years, and be subjected to a quality review or peer review of his accounting practice every three years.
Same holds true in most if not all states in the US.

I don't understand your best option. What or who is a reliable consultancy?
I suppose you are saying to assign jobs to reliable consultants to manage these (tasks?) with minimum headaches for us?

"These" being the payroll functions (processing or filings) for instance?

I agree that if you are outsourcing this function it's best to go with a payroll company (ADP, Paychex or a slew of other companies large and small) rather that use an accountant. To use an accountant to do this is a waste of your money.

How about the job of income tax return preparation? Who's a reliable consultant in this field? One of them self proclaimed accountants?

How about if the bank or bonding company calls for a financial statement for your business? Who's a reliable consultant for that job? One of them self proclaimed accountants?

If I misunderstand your comments, I'm sorry.
But you struck a nerve.