View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Who's flying this thing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
It is a nice car, no doubt.

What bugs me about Lexus is just how much they have copied Mercedes. I can't remember all the times I've seen a Mercedes in the distance, only to get closer and realize it is a Lexus.

When something copies something so closely, it says something about the copier and what is being copied, doesn't it?

I'll stick with the original, flaws and all.
That is so true, Chris. Those LS430 Lexus sedans really do look like well massaged W140 sedans. They don't look quite as chiseled as the Mercedes, but to me they are very covetable, in fact the only Japanese cars that are.

They seem to be another case of taking a vey good idea andmaking it better;
no question about it, its derivative style flatters Mercedes very much.

I have driven one of them and they are truly impressive cruisers, and they really cosset you with luxury, and look beautifully stiched together. They aren't meant to be driven with verve though, like you could with a Mercedes 140, or a BMW 7 series. They do lack character, involvement and soul, though.

But, they are near bulletproof in quality and durability, and their near horizontal depreciation reflects this. Good ones still can appear in the upper $30k range for sale. Not bad for a car that cost about $60k when new.

I doubt they would be as safe in a severe accident as a big Mercedes though, but other than that, they are just about as good a way to get from here to there while looking and feeling good as you could find.

To the original poster, I can't think of any real reason not to buy one, if you like it. They won't disappoint, and they look a lot nicer than the current ones, or even the original LS400. Big comfortable highway haulers always appealed to me, and this model is one of the very very best ones that has emerged in recent years.

The one I about swooned over was a new one in Black Cherry.

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)

Last edited by Jim B.; 06-21-2007 at 12:59 PM.