View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 09:29 AM

Wheel bearings

I have decided to replace the front wheel bearings instead of getting new tires. I inspected the front suspension, steering, etc again. When I rock the front tires back and forth when holding them at 6 and 12 0'clock, there is some play. Checked some other posts and suspected lower control arm bushings, but the play is clearly not in the suspension. I felt all the linkages while rocking the wheel and found no play. I could feel motion in the wheel only. There is no play when rocking the wheel from side to side, held at 3 and 9 o'clock. This threw me off at first, until I figured that the wheel bearing race must be worn oval, with most wear at 12 o'clock on the race. This makes sense since the weight of the car would cause the most wear here. Also, a race worn oval would explain the lack of end play in the bearings. So I will replace the wheel bearings and report back. I hope this helps somebody else out there. Another thing I found helpful was wedging my fingers between the wheel and the component I was checking for play. This allowed me to temporarily immobilize the component in question and then shake the wheel. If the play was still evident, the immobilized component was eliminated as the possible cause.