View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 01:07 AM

new owner with leaking AC in '85 300SD

folks,

i'm new to owning a M-B diesel AND to this forum, having just bought a rust-free, good-looking,good-running, 300sd THIS afternoon for the princely sum of $ 1900.oo. (i've wanted one for YEARS, since i first rode in one on the "K-town/Saarbrucken" autobahn in 1970!) it runs down the road GREAT/sounds FINE, but as is usual with a 22 year old car, it has certain "issues".

my BIGGEST "issue" (right now) is that the AC system doesn't blow cold air. the former owner said , "i just have my mechanic add some freon every year to the system & everything is fine for the year".

is this NORMAL for these cars, or does this particuliar AC system (likely) have a repairable leak???
if it's just MY "new to me" 300SD & not a "it's the nature of the beast. learn to live with it problem" (as a former/longtime Alfa Romeo owner, i KNOW all too well about THAT sort of "problem"! = NEW Alfas have "issues"!), can anyone here recommend a QUALITY AC repair shop in northern VA that understands the 300SD AC/heater system, as i'm from TX (though i've worked in this area for a good while).

also, can anyone tell me someone who is COMPETENT to rebuild my driver's bucket seat??? (the upholstery is fine, the seat cushion/springs seem to be "shot".)

thanks for reading this, tex1946