View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 04:02 PM
And I only had one lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel View Post
Had an aftermarket cat installed a month ago. Had it inspected yesterday and cat suspected to be dead by the rattling noise inside it.

Techie says it may be caused by rich mixture of air/fuel ratio. Is this true?
My mix is 50%, and car passed emission testing.
Yes, it is entirely possible. I had this happen to my 87 Ford F-150, Bigfoot Cruiser 4x4 truck. It turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator, which caused the problem. It kept more or less, flooding the engine, and as a result, fried the two catyletic converters, and the two O2 sensors..

It's only got that crappy 302 in it. The thing has two cats, one right in front of the other, on the same pipe, under the passenger floor. Since it is all one piece, with the Y-pipe, it will all need to be replaced. I got a price of $1500.oo for the front Y-pipe assembly, with two cats, and two O2 sensors on it. The truck is barely even worth that much to begin with. Realistically, the only thing which gives the truck any real value, is the fact that it's an original Bigfoot Cruiser edition. Got some really cool options, Like power, up/down rear cab window, roll bar, factory lift kit, and 35" tires,XLT Lariat, and a bunch more other things...but I'm still hesitant, and keep procrastinating putting any money into it. Aside from mechanical ailments, the truck is flawless, so for now it is just holding down the floor in my warehouse, with a lot of the rest of my vehicles. Nice paper weight, because it won't even stay running long enough to get it out into the sunlight, in one shot. Ever have a Potato clog your exhaust system..? It's giving the same effect...