View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 06:57 AM
Marine Engineer (retired)

Lightbulb At least it wasn't salt water.....

I spent the majority of my adult life living and working along the Gulf Coast.....the first thing that came to mind was, well at least it was fresh water.....in Chicago.....those vehicles that were flooded during hurricanes Katrina/Rita were flooded with salt water...this makes a huge difference when it comes to rust/corrosion issues and electrical problems.....salt water is conductive, fresh water not nearly as much so....

If it was my car, I would have already washed the entire car down with a pressure washer......and then opened any electrical boxes i.e. Fuse Box....and if there was any sign of water, wash out with distilled water....THEN...I would let my insurance company total the car, and then offer to purchase it back (you will get a salvage title) and use it ad a daily driver in the city.....and then get the new Bluetec and use it when the occasion warrants.....Sunday drives in the country, etc.......having the previously flooded car for city use will save on parking lot dents and such, as well as salt from winter driving.....

Of course I would check the fluids and stuff that the others have already mentioned.....

SB

Diesels:
'85 300D, "Max, Blue Benz", 155K, 27.0 MPG
'84 190D 2.2, "Eva, Brown Benz", 142K, 40.2 MPG
'77 240D (parts car)
'67 Eicher ES 202 Tractor "Otto" (2cyl, Air Cooled, 30HP)
Gassers:
'94 Ford F-150, "Henry", 170K (300 Six) 17.5 MPG
'85 190E 2.3, 148K....Parts Car
'58 Dodge W300M Powerwagon (Flat Fenders) Less than 10 MPG