View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007, 11:22 PM

Finally replaced the fan clutch pulley bearing bracket. The replacement of the bearing was not a big deal BUT the battle with putting the belt back on was a big one. I think the belt tensioner stopped working when I took the belt out, I am not sure what happened, but had to remove the alternator to get the belt out. I tried a lot to make the tensioner work but it just would not loosen or tighten. There was no way in the world I was going to replace the tensioner because this meant I had to undo all that I just did. So, what I found is that I could keep the lower bold on the alternator on, and remove the upper bolt and push the alternator in. Then I tried a whole bunch of belt sizes and the one that worked was 6PK2325 (though a better one would be 6PK2320, nobody has this in stock, only Bando seem to make it). I put the belt around and pulled the alternator back in place, and this is how I managed to get my belt on. This size of belt is substantially longer than the original belt, but it seems to be tight enough, the alternator is making about 12.5V. Because I needed such a long belt, the tensioner is failed in a way that it is extremely on the tight side. The tensioner adjustment rod is very loose, it was not like this before. Oh well, atleast the car is running. But now the blower motor or its controller has died, so another job is waiting in the pipe. I think I also need to replace fuel filter at some point.