View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 06:49 AM
Mike Neumann

THANKS - Calipers Upside Down (65 - 220SEb)

Hello, I've acquired a new Mercedes to my fleet - a 1965 220SEb. The car is a CA car and has not been on the street for 10 years. The previous owner must have had a money problem (too much) and spent many hours having parts replaced in the shop as I've a stack of records from a California shop. The car is very clean and looks like it's going to be a fun one to own.

The brakes were the first issue that needed help. The pedal went to the floor with no resistance. I pulled the front calipers off and found them stuck. I learned from a friend that a little air will fix stuck calipers easily. There was rust rings present that convinced me to replace both calipers. While doing this. I put the calipers back on and started the bleading process but no fluid came out. I was convinced the master cylinder was bad so I replaced that. Guess what, still nothing. I found that all four rubber hoses were plugged. I replaced these and had good shots of fluid at the brakes. I blead the brakes again and the pedal still went to the floor. HM.... I turned to the Forum and which saved the day!!!!!

There was a small thread that I found that mentioned the fact that the calipers may be on the wrong sides (upside down). I checked and sure enough, they were on the wrong side. When installing, I never paid attention to which side went where. I assumed if it fit it was correct. I re-blead the brakes and they work GREAT.

Thanks you for solving a problem that could have been a LONG PROCESS, even at a brake shop. Happy to have such great help!!! Mike.