View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Diesel & John Deere Nut

I talked to the VW/MB tech at the local Diesel shop. He said the following:

1: Is it hard to start? No, starts just as well if not better than before.
2: How many miles on Injectors? Unknown, but probably original @ 231K miles..... Ding, Ding.... Problem here!!

Given those answers, he thinks that I've done the right thing. He said that if I went much too far over the 28*, that it would be very difficult to start, especially after I told him that without glowplugs or ether, there is absolutely no way to get the engine started when not at operating temp......... Even in warm weather....

He says that's normal behavior for a cold engine, but says that hot the smoke should clear up. Said also not to be worried about too far advanced timing doing damage as, once again, it would be hard to start long before the damage point. (And yesterday I started it effortlessly with the battery standing at 12.2 volts!! Needless to say I let her charge up!) Also said that with the amount of idling I've been doing lately, that until I run 'er good, smoke is an unlreliable signal, at best...... Plus the fact that he feels pretty certain the injectors are shot. Said that they'd pop & spray test for $3.50 ea...... Rebuild for $60ea, including nozzles... Seems a bit high since I can get new injectors from Rusty C for ~$48 ea......

That's what the Bosch tech had to say............??? Anybody have thoughts otherwise?

EPA Section 609 Certified MVAC Technician
-----------------
Oil Burner Kartel Member #10

Ahh the smell of Diesel Fuel, it's like coffee in the morning!

My Car:

1982 300SD Turbo Diesel (231,500 miles!) RIP

1984 300SD Turbo Diesel Custom (235,500 mi on driveline.) - On Road!!

www.icsrepair.com