View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfgray View Post
Hi my name is Paul and I could really use some help. I own SL 55 AMG which is currently out of warranty. The other day the battery exploded and discharged battery acid all over wiring harness which now needs to be replaced. No idea what caused this to happen the question is what do I do now given the situation. My service Rep claims this has never happened and cost of repairs is $4000. He claims the Mercedes will split the cost of repairs with me. I however think I’m being misled, sounds like a manufactures defect to me. Has anyone ever heard of battery acid leaking and destroying the wiring harness to the vehicle? If so how should I proceed with Mercedes and my service agent?
Paul,
First, I'm a business guy not a car guy so I'll leave the technical matters to the other experts here.

My first reaction when I read your post was MB is being surprisingly and proactively generous from the looks of it, as I rarely see them being this generous to voluntarily 'help' out with the damage cost, unless they had something to do with it. That said, my first call would be to my attorney as this sounds like either a product liability issue or negligence on the install/maintenance of the battery. Second, if you've got comprehensive insurance coverage on your car, this incident probably qualifies and if you end up having to pay anything, insurance may cover it. I would involve the insurance provider only after speaking to your attorney. Good luck with this; please post how you make out.

Bob
'99 SL500 For Now