View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 03:46 PM
MB, love..hate..love..

Quote:
Originally Posted by psfred View Post
To get the "normal mercedes" smooth ride on a W126 you must put Bilstein comforts on it ...Also, who did the installation? Are they familiar with the correct way to install shocks with rubber buffers at the top? You must screw the nut (usually a locker type now, not the twin nuts of the past) down ONLY enough to keep the shock from rattling. With two nuts, you want a single thread showing above the top one... you can loosen them up and set to the correct position if they are overtightened. Rather common, actually.

You also need to check and probably replace sway bar mounts, buried up on the firewall. Bad mounts allow the sway bar to clank, making horrible noise that sounds exactly like bad shocks. A bear to replace, but necessary.

Check your front wheel bearings too, although if they are bad enough to make noise, you usually have other strange things going on like serious wander.

Peter
I installed new Sachs touring shocks all round a few weks ago. According to most posted opinions here, these are as good as or better than Bilsteins in the ride dept. That's a nice tip on tightening the front nuts, never knew that. I moved the 2 nuts so only a thread is now showing. Predictably, absolutely no noticeable change though.

I have new sway bar bushings on order, and will replace next week. I found a thread discussing how one member did this without removing the brake booster. I'm going to free up the fuse box and try to wiggle the old one out and the new in if I can. Not too worried about the passenger side bushing under the battery tray (and I did the leaf vacuuming on both sides too).

The wheel bearings are relatively new and set correctly (I had a post on this sometime back on using the dial indicator).

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybomb View Post
What about the bumper - is it mounted solidly? Have the lower control arm busings been changed? I'm at a loss what else could be causing you the problem at this point.
Bumper mounts are tight. The LCA bushings are not the least bit mushey, or hard either, as we checked with a pry bar last week. Besides, these are pivot points and unless really bad, I can't see them making noise or absorbing road noise either. The saga continues.....and I have another thread going on the wheel and tire forum re. tires that might help, but so far, no real help there either.

Last edited by donbryce; 08-23-2007 at 03:56 PM.