View Single Post
Old 01-16-2002, 08:38 PM

I guess I'm not buying :(

I'm sorry if anyone took my question about MB-USA the wrong way. It is only because I heard of people in this forum that have experienced the harness problem on years before 1992 that had me questioning MB-USA's integrity.

I guess it all boils down to personal experiences by each individual. Personally, I'm not going to just take MB-USA's word for it, that is why I participate in this great site, because of the honesty and great support that many people here give us all.

Anyway, buying a car on the internet has turned out to be quite difficult for me. I spent the last week talking to the owner of this car and he he assured me that the car was great and that I could take it to any mechanic I wanted for an inspection.

I called a Mercedes Benz Authorized Dealer made the arrangements and paid them for a 2.8 hour inspection only to find out that the car needs a lot of work. The dealer's estimate was approximately $10,000 and would not stop criticizing the car.

The purchase inspection has about 150 different things they look at. They said a 1990 Mercedes usually needs a lot of work because it is too old and it;s normal for a car like this to be in this condition. The car has 100,000 miles.

They tried very hard to sell me a signature series car, but I didn't bite.

Anyway, I'm not going to buy the car and I think I'll look for a different car alltogether. I've had enough bad experiences with Mercedes for now. I'm just going to take a break. I've always lovedMercedes growing up and have the utmost respect for their engineering and their terrific lineup of special cars, but I'm not having the greatest luck. I'll watch you guys enjoy your precious toys and maybe the next car after this will be a Mercedes.

I always tell everyone what great cars Mercedes are and they keep saying, well why is it that yours always needs to be fixed.
The other choices left now, are Lexus LS 400 ( the only one from Japan that I'm interested in) or a BMW.

Please nobody take this the wrong way. This is only my experience and opinion and I'm just looking for reliability and I'm basing my decisions based on my past experiences and some research. I've always owned BMWs and maybe I was lucky, but I never had to repair them that often and the reputation of the Lexus LS 400 seems to be very impressive.

The only other thing I think I could do is buy a W123 280e or 280ce , but I don't feel like going that old right now.

Decisions, decisions...