View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 12:10 AM

Weekend wrenching

This weekend was spent doing a number of things. As some may remember, I bought a Mercedes Benz 350SE last year. A fellow lister has been kind enough to store it for me while I get organized here in Dallas.

The car was vandalized prior to the purchase and all the glass with the exception of the rear window was smashed in. On Saturday I was cruising the junk yards and I found a complete W116 300SD. So I got together with a buddy of mine who has a trailer and we pulled the doors, hood, trunk lid and center console from it. The car looked like it was involved in a drug seizure or something as there was police dust all over it and finger print marks. The back seat looked like it was rummaged through.

I did not need the hood and trunk lid but as they are made of aluminum, I thought it would be worth taking. It's actually cheaper to pull the doors and considering the ease the fact that they will sell you the lot for the same price as the window.

Today, the fuel lines were replaced on the 76 6.9. As usual, it was very hard to start and needed carb cleaner to get it going. However once it settled, it would idle much better. A friend who's helping me thinks it had air in the fuel system. I dumped half a can of seafoam into it and it helped it a little more. I was actually able to lay rubber pulling away which was a first because it refuse to rev at all before.

I took the car around the block and it was more responsive. I then shut it off for 5 mins. When I tried to start it again, it would not unless I used carb cleaner. This time it's was hot so it doesn't appear to be a cold start injector.

Does anyone have an idea of what could cause this?

The rest of the day was spent tidying the shop as it is beginning to look like a scrap pile. I picked up two more shelves and did some re-ordering. We can now pull two cars out of the shop which leaves a decent amount of space to move around.

Al