View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Cabernet red, actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgrassi View Post
Was it cross-threaded? Is there any metal stuck in the treads of the fittings?

Were the fittings all the way in the housing, or just partly.

The helicoils may be your best bet. If the threads at least have some "bite" to them, the permatex stuff may work, but know you will have to do it again if you want or need to remove the lines again. You also have to watch for temp and pressure ratings.

Either way you are going to have to drain the tranny fluid, and clean every thing really good.

Which line is it? It would be good to know how the fluid flows and which line it is. If you were to tap it, and this line drains into the pan, then it will not be so bad.

If it goes to the oil pump, then that will be a different matter. Either way, shavings or parts of the dried epoxy stuff can get lodged in the pump.
Good questions. Frankly I don't know the answers to most of them.

The fluid has been drained but I have yet to clean out the threads in the housing, so I don't really know how bad it is yet. I guess that would be step number one before I proceed. I do know there are a small amount of metal shavings in there already - there were a few of them on the bolt when I removed it.

I'm not sure which direction the fluid runs on this line. Guess I need to figure that out.

I'm not too worried about having to remove the line in the future. With luck I won't have to. Without luck, well I guess I would cross that bridge when I come to it. It sounds like the worst case scenario in that event is no worse than the solution would be now if I don't use a glue-type product.

I do wonder about the pressure in this line. I don't know how much there is and that's something I need to find out. I'm guessing it's not tremendous, but a guess isn't good enough.

Thanks, you've given me some important things to think about.

1985 300D Turbo, CA model
248,650 miles and counting...