View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 11:27 PM

I'm going the same route and just received my SPAL 16" fan and pulse-width-modulated controller this evening. I decided to go with an electric fan because:

1) I've been running without a fan since I got the car in November and almost never "need" the fan. On the highway, the car stays at 82C and in stop and go traffic it almost never gets over 90C, and the highest temp I've seen was about 105C after getting stuck at a light for four cycles and only moving 1/4 of a mile in eight minutes (and this was during Atlanta's 105F temps last week).

2) When I put the fan clutch on, it seemed to work OK despite the loss of the juice, but the wobbling meant it was toast. The cheapest I could find a clutch was an off-brand for $140 plus shipping (it's $240 here at FastLane), so my cost of installing the electric fan will be on a par with replacing the clutch.

3) An 87-hp engine needs all the help it can get, and since I can set the PWM module to the temp setpoints I want, the fan will rarely be drawing any power.

4) I don't do "hack jobs" on wiring, so it'll be clean and reversible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
The engine fan really does not take up much power and is more reliable than an electric fan.
Yeah, but on an 87-hp engine, "(not) much power" is relatively more. Also, the clutch fan would not be moving as much air at idle in traffic when compared to an electric fan that can be running at 100% in traffic (assuming the electrical system is up to snuff).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
After all, the clutch on that 81 lasted over 20 years of constant use.
Assuming it was the original and functional until the end.