View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 03:23 PM
'94 S500: only 793 sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyarw View Post
However, I could not find any way that seemed "proper" to fix the fan pulley while trying to remove the Allen bolt holding the VCF. In fact, when I got it apart, I could not find any way to restrain the pulley, even being able to access both sides of it for inspection. What I did do was to hold it very gingerly with a pair of vice grips, being very careful not to deform the pulley and then fix the vice grips with a screwdriver. It's not elegant, but it worked.
Yes, there's a special tool for that but vice-grips are just as good . . . in other words, whatever works!

Quote:
I found that the bimetallic strip was not as pictured, but was rather more of a equilateral parallelogram with the fingers at the ends to fit under the retainers. There was a cross bar over the pin on the VCF with an adjusting allen bolt in it which bears on the VCF activation pin. The adjusting bolt was frozen and too delicate to muscle out, so I ground the bottom nib off and the VCF adjusting pin now appears to be fully extended.
Sorry, don't understand what you wrote . . .

Quote:
When the VCF pin is fully extended, does it lock the fan mechanically, or through the viscous function, i.e., with pin fully extended, should I be able to rotate the fan independently of the pulley?
The pin pushes on an internal 'switch' (clutch) when the bms is cold (ie no bend) and DISABLES the VFC (It's not "VCF" . . but VFC for "viscous fan clutch"!). When the bms reaches it's 'bend' temp (100C or more), the bms now is bent and this releases the pressure on the internal clutch causing silicone to flow and LOCK-UP the fan.

If you mean that you ADDED the bolt/nut as shown in MENU#20, then the answer is "yes", the VFC is fully engaged IF there is silicone in the VFC. If not it won't do anything.

You will KNOW that it is locked as soon as you start the car; the 'swooshing' from the fan will immediately alert your ears. It was because of the constant air-noise that I modified the method.

Visit my Mercedes Web Page