View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 06:09 PM

w140 VFC question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Yes, there's a special tool for that but vice-grips are just as good . . . in other words, whatever works!

Sorry, don't understand what you wrote . . .

The pin pushes on an internal 'switch' (clutch) when the bms is cold (ie no bend) and DISABLES the VFC (It's not "VCF" . . but VFC for "viscous fan clutch"!). When the bms reaches it's 'bend' temp (100C or more), the bms now is bent and this releases the pressure on the internal clutch causing silicone to flow and LOCK-UP the fan.

If you mean that you ADDED the bolt/nut as shown in MENU#20, then the answer is "yes", the VFC is fully engaged IF there is silicone in the VFC. If not it won't do anything.

You will KNOW that it is locked as soon as you start the car; the 'swooshing' from the fan will immediately alert your ears. It was because of the constant air-noise that I modified the method.
Let me try again on the bms. It is a diamond shaped strip with nibs on each end to fit under the holders on the VFC housing. The diamond is annular so that a similar but smaller diamond is cut out of the center producing a diamond shaped device that is hollow in the middle. In fact, the area over the pin would not have any bms above it if there were not a cross bar incorporated. A set screw is set in the cross bar exactly over the clutch pin.

I don't see any difference in the behavior of the fan with the modification I made. Given the configuration I have described, there is no place to make the modification you suggest as there is virtually no bms with material on the center line so that you could properly lift it off the pin. This is really difficult to describe and I'm not going to go out and take it apart so I can take a picture. I included a drawing for clarity (I hope). Of course, this is a rather crude drawing—the ends are cut off to fit under the retainers on the VFC. The area between the two diamonds is the bms.

Regarding the result: i don't see any difference in the behavior of the fan, so I think that the viscous is working. That is, I don't get any whooshing and the fan does not lock up with the pulley as far as I can tell. The set screw which I ground off does not depress the pin on the vfc. Does the VFC nit die and just not work?

Thanks again, RWA
Attached Thumbnails
How do I remove the radiator on a w140-bms.jpg