View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 08:03 PM

This weekend was a lot of fun. On Saturday I decided to wash the 280SEL seeing as I've given up on selling it and now plan to keep it.

While I was washing it, I decided to pull the carpet out which looked super filthy and scrub them with car shampoo and a brush that I normally use on my wheels. Then I hit them with a pressure washer.

Words cannot describe the amount of crap that came flowing out of the carpets. It was like a river of crap. I kept the pressure washer on the carpet for minutes and until the water went clear. Then I left them hanging up against the wall. Sure enough as I did, more brown water would pour out.

I then scrubbed the central tunnel down and used a deep cleaner with a hand attachment to suck the water out. The carpet is a day and night difference. If you guys have original carpets in your vintage, you want to try it.

A guy who I have working with me came to me with a proposition which is to do the complete bodywork on the 59 Ford F100 in exchange for a high end tig welder. As there is at least 100 hours in that truck I figured it could be a good deal. So I went and looked at a Miller Synchrowave 180. The seller was a very pleasant chap who spent about an hour walking us through the welder and then let us practice on it.

The deal was done, and we loaded up 220lbs of welder and a 5 ft tall welding cylinder into the truck and headed back.

Today we put another shelve and swapped out the rear end on the MGB with a wire wheel rear on from a 69 BGT that I recently parted. The weather is starting to cool so I am really keen on getting this car running. I also added leak sealer and some R406a to the 280SEL which now blows cool, but who knows for how long.

The 76 6.9 is still giving me grief on start up. I tried Michal's test of pushing the throttle plate down for a bit and it let fuel and could tell that it let fuel into the throttle body. But not enough to get it running. It still needed starting fluid to get it started and running. I'm not sure if it's leaky injectors as they would have the opposite effect right?

Thoughts and opinion's on the 6.9 are appreciated.

Al