View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 01:22 PM
MB, love..hate..love..

Front end alignment question: centering steering wheel

After doing a lot of work on my front end ('85 380SE), bushings mainly, I had the wife take it in for an alignment, as I was out of town and couldn't make the appointment.
When I got home, I took it for a highway drive and noticed the steering wheel was slightly off to the left, when it should have been pointing straight ahead. So I called the guy who did the work, and he says the steering box has too much play in it and he couldn't center the wheel accurately on the alignment apparatus. He more or less said that it was the best he could do and if I wanted to pay for it, by the hour, he would work to center it for me.
I guess it has to be set up on the alignment machine all over again to tweak the centering. The alignment cost me $70.00 and I can't see paying that again just for this adjustment. Grrrrrrr.....
My question is, if I turn the tie rod ends the same amount to change the position of the wheel, would this affect toe-in/out only? Or should I reposition the steering wheel on the splines?