View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBYCC View Post
Let me "cut and paste" like you are so good at doing....
Obviously the more you post, the less knowledge you show....
The theory conforms to all laws of physics....
Try to be logical....

Spring Rates

The Spring Rate controls the transfer of weight of the car. During braking and acceleration the weight of the car shifts forward and backward. Softer front springs aid in shifting the weight to the front, thereby reducing understeer. Softer rear springs allow the weight to transfer to the rear, consequently reducing oversteer. Alternatively, to induce understeer or oversteer, do the opposite and stiffen the corresponding spring rates. Keep in mind that spring rates that are too soft produce a car that is not as responsive as one with a stiffer spring rate. So, you have to find a compromise.
Your own quote, mind you. "Controls the transfer of weight". "Softer springs aid in shifting the weight...". The amount of weight transfer is unchanged by spring rate. The opposite of what you said here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBYCC View Post
Also spring rates....higher in the front produce less weight transfer when braking and limit the amount of understeer they induce.

You can't change the amount of weight transfer (with spring rate), only affect where it goes. Missing from your quote is the effect on the rate of transfer. Also, softer spring rates in the front contribute to understeer, not the opposite.

CG height is one way to change the amount of weight transfer. Changing the track width is another.

Quote:
Attitude ????
Quote:

You're the one who chimes in as the suspension expert on W124's and you're not even familiar with the design geometry.
Expert? I said raising the rear ride height raises the CG (which it does). You didn't even dispute that, you just smugly dismissed me because what I say is less important than where I've been.

Quote:
You wouldn't own a W124 ...prefer the antiquated suspension design of a W123 diesel wagon ???
Talk about nose bleed performance....
Nice to see you can keep jumping to conclusions so well. I have another car.

Quote:
Only conclusion that I come to is that you're long on reading, short on real life experience.
I've got ~5 years at autocross, and took a few HPDEs. I apparently haven't acheived the level of of real life application that allows me to not bother with physics and to mock others without addressing their actual points, but I'm not going on track in my car without a roll cage, which is not in the budget any time soon. Since this is the internet, I could've easily made up years of experience with Aston Martins or Porsches or Ferraris. I don't know how that would've affected the information I potsed.

Quote:
Don't be so critical of one who has experience on the particular vehicle in question when you have none...
Please quote where I was critical. I made a comment based on one of your quotes (which was general, not specific to the 300E). You're the one who was derisive.

Last edited by tankdriver; 09-20-2007 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling