View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 04:40 AM

IP freshened up

Well i felt I'd be light years ahead having the injection pump looked at since the first and third piston elements were sticking along with the fuel rod. So i had Diesel Fuel Injection Service in Portland, OR. Look at the IP and figure out if the injection pump was messed up, needed a rebuild or just a freshening up. The guys at DFIS (Diesel Fuel Injection Service ) were very nice and they look like and sound like they do quality work (figures crossed so far).

when I got the IP back I lined up the missing tooth on the IP and the mark scored in the ip then the mark in the block and the ip, hooked up all the lines etc. pulled the knob and let the glow plug salt shaker get warm and after letting it turn over for about a minute it fired up. She smokes allot and there is defiantly a knock/nailing happening but i think that some of the gas is still probably not the best and some of the marvels mystery oil the PO soaked the engine in is probably in the crankcase, possibly an injector is bad and so forth.

Is there anybody around the Vancouver/Portland area have a drip tool and the know how to help a newbie time an IP better?

I now need to freshen the brakes and other misc. items before she'll be transporting me to school and back.

My only complaint about DFIS (Diesel Fuel Injection Service ) would be that Rod at DFIS said they would diagnose the problem and do no work ($) would be done until i was contacted before hand with the exact cost. Rod also said if it was only gummed up and needed only freeing up and calibration (not torn apart and rebuilt) that it would be only $150-$175. So I was surprised when I received the call today saying that the ip was ready, especially when I was told yesterday that they were were at least a week out on looking at the ip. The problem was the bill was $272 and that it was only varnished up and that they cleaned it up with out completely taking it apart and that they calibrated it also. I'm sure thats not an outrageous price and it was done before i expected it but not only was I expecting to get a call before the work was done but the cost was over $100 more than I expected. I'm an unemployed student with a mortgage and all the trimmings I've acquired before I was downsized due to corporate greed so the cost was quite allot more than i expected. Anybody in the market for a kidney I've got a spare.
Sorry the last was just a rant, I know when working with cars especially with classics it always cost allot more than expected at least shes running again after some thirteen plus years

66 MB 200d
65 VW T2 Deluxe
76 VW T2 Westfalia