View Single Post
Old 01-21-2002, 04:14 PM
smoke gets in your eyes

Things to consider for adding this supercharger to your M103:

- it needs a place to reside. The driven pulley has to be in the same plane as the rest of the pulleys. Kinda tight in my SE engine bay which is bigger than a W124 engine bay.

- it needs oil. You'll have to get pressurized oil to it and allow the oil to drain back into the pan above the normal oil level.

- it needs to be driven. I don't know if it has or will accept the same kind of pulley as the ones already in the engine. I don't think there's room between the existing pulleys and the fan for another belt system. I guess you can replace the fan with an electric fan attached to the radiator.

- it needs fuel enrichment. The supercharger will provide more air, but the engine will need more fuel. I don't know the limitations of the KE system. How much airflow can safely it respond to?

- it needs air passages. You have to get air from an air cleaner (the stock one is in a lousy place for this) to the supercharger, then from the supercharger to the airlfow meter (this should be relatively easy). An intercooler would be nice.

- it might need boost control. I know turbocharges better than superchargers. I don't know if this is a relevant consideration.

- in some places, it has to be smog legal.

There are probably a ton of other considerations.

Guido is right. If you can fabricate what you need, this is a steal. Otherwise, $2000 for a kit you can install yourself is much cheaper.

Sixto
91 300SE
81 300SD