View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleears View Post
Terry,

I'm waiting for a quote from Phil on the K40. I think I'll triple check all the O rings first. then the K40, then maybe the S/O and fuel pump. Can I replace the fuel pump with the IM in place? I'd really rather not remove it, my tools/skills are limited. And if I screw up I'd really hate to take it back to the same place.

You mentioned the k40 can cause quick shut offs and slow starts. In the case of the latter would it allow air into the fuel lines or would it just not open completly?

Honestly, stop P*ssy footing on the K40 issue. In many prior threads it's been stated that the K40 is essentially the achilles heel of the w210 chassis. The K40 affects many different functions of the cars electrical. Go to your local stealer and buy it. It's essentially $100, not too bad. I understand you are trying to narrow the problem down while keeping finances in the spotlight. Replacing the K40 while give you the peace of mind knowing that for a long time you should not have to worry about the car randomly shutting off, not starting or otherwise (due to the electronics, for the most part). It's quite rare to read about the ECM going bad or even the lift pump.

And you indy, isn't too familiar with the OM606. The lift pump is a separate item and can be replaced as such. Sometimes these OM606's can be a PITA when it comes to the rubber o-rings. I'm still kinda battling something with mine as I know it doesn't start as perfectly as it used to, there an extra little shake after she fires up, but that's swaying off topic.

BTW, don't want to come across as being meam, trying to get the point across of the importance of the K40. Easier to spend $100 than $1,000+ to R&R something that may not be the culprit.
'99 E300