View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 03:07 AM

I removed the instrument cluster. Now I think that whoever projected it should be shot on sight. It is plain retarded. There's very very little play from the speedo cable.

First I took a large flat screwdriver. Inserted it from one of the sides and pulled the cluster. It does sort of pop off. Then did the same thing from the other side.

Then started pulling. I started gently, but then understood this would not be gentle at all. Pulled hard. Damn that speedo cable is strong.

Made enough space to fit my hand behind the cluster. I have small hands, but large fore arms. Some wisea** from mercedes thought it would be cool to put some "teeth" like saw "teeth" on the side of the cluster. Needless to say I've got bruises all over my hand.

So ... I happily stuck my hand behind the cluster, while with the other hand was pulling the cluster pretty hard. Reached for the speedo cable but it was impossible to unscrew it. Reached for my slip joint pliers and for about 15 min I tried to fit them behind the cluster to unscrew the speedo cable. Finally got a good grip and unscrew it. Changed the bulbs I wanted to change, wjhile breaking all the old ones.

Putting back the instrument cluster was a breeze. Until I had to screw back the speedo cable. Yes you guessed it. For those who didn't guess it, I couldn't screw it. I couldn't pull it to reach the cluster. Now I don't have a speedo. I guess my speed by checking the tachometer. When I have the time, I'll got to a mechanic friend of mine, release the speedo cable from the gearbox, pull it, screw it on the cluster, then screw back the speedo cable on the gear box.

Quite an easy job, isn't it ?