View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 07:43 AM

Very similar situation as posted by pandadan. The key turns freely to all positions. It turned to position 1?, where I can insert paper clip and remove lock cylinder. It turned to position 2?, where glow plugs come on. But, when turning to start position there is no spring resistance feeling and no turning of starter. With the lock cylinder removed, I could insert a pair of needle nose pliers into the tangs(indents where the lock cylinder makes contact) and start the car and drive it and it functions completely normal, after turning back slightly to left to get it aligned in run position. However, now I have a new problem. I decided to try to use a screwdriver instead of the needle nose pliers and broke off the piece that the lock cylinder lines up next to. I will be ordering a new ignition lock housing and a new lock cylinder. The housing comes with a new switch. Ordering the cylinder in case it was the original problem. Will try original cylinder first to try to avoid having key for ignition and key for doors.
1982 Volvo 242 turbo
1983 BMW 633
1987 MB 300SDL
1998 Olds LSS